September’s Performance Overview
- Volatility remained a feature of markets during September, with equity markets continuing to bear the brunt of risk aversion.
- Governments continue to struggle with developing creditable solutions for resolving current fiscal issues, while global growth forecasts continued to fall in the face of declining confidence indicators and slowing macro indicators.
- Investors became increasingly concerned about the potential of a recession emerging in Europe/US and the impact on Emerging markets; and commodity prices fell accordingly.
- The Australian equity market (ASX 200) remained under renewed pressure with Resource stocks declining on the back of weaker commodity prices.
- The market finished down (-6.7% or -6.1% including dividends) although off its intra month lows.
Download the Wrap Up of the Market for September 2011 here.